Performance Measure: Number and Value of New, Improved, or Preserved Economic Activities
The purpose of this Performance Measure (PM) is to provide the types, quantities, and, where appropriate, estimated dollar values of new, improved or preserved economic activities, products and services. This PM relates to SNC’s goals to develop tourism and recreational opportunities, aid in the preservation of working landscapes, and assist the regional economy.
Likely Project Categories
Reporting on this PM is required of all projects where relevant. Many SNC grant-funded projects will not lead to measureable economic activities. For projects that will lead to some new or preserved economic activities, accurately quantifying the economic benefits will be more challenging for some projects than for others.
Variations (where applicable)
This PM is further classified into the following variations:
- New and Improved Products (e.g., natural resources, agriculture, and manufacturing outputs)
- New and Improved Services (e.g., hospitality, recreation, education, information, transportation)
- Products Preserved
- Services Preserved
Guidance on Applying this PM to Your Project
This is a recommended approach to collecting data and reporting on this PM. Grantees are asked to further evaluate how these steps may best be applied to their specific project and discuss with SNC any steps or considerations that may be unique to their project.
- Provide the number of economic products or services directly created, improved, or preserved by your SNC-funded project. For example, a conservation easement on a working landscape may preserve the production of livestock, crops, or lumber.
- Provide the amount of the product or services created, improved, or preserved that can be directly attributable to the SNC-funded project.
- For new or improved products, provide the new or increased annual production volume.
For new or improved services, provide the increased capacity to provide these services, such as number of beds, increased tour capacity and participation, etc.
For economic products and services preserved, provide the annual total amount of product or service. For a project involving the preservation of a working landscape, this would be head of livestock, crop yield, or board feet of timber anticipated annually.
The grantee should provide the following information:
- Type(s) of products and services provided.
- Total number of new, improved, or preserved products and services.
- Quantity of each product or service provided, per year.
- Estimated annual dollar value of new or improved products and services.
Note that quantities, dollar values, and total numbers of economic activities should be directly attributable to the SNC-funded project.
The level of effort required to measure, analyze, and report the number of new, improved or preserved economic activities will vary from minimal to moderate, but probably less than 40 hours.